• What is ISAN International Agency (ISAN-IA)?
• What is ARIBSAN?
• What is the ISAN code?
• What is the format of an ISAN code?
• What is the purpose of an ISAN code?
• Who allocates an ISAN?
• To what type of works and/or recordings does the ISAN code apply?
• Who can apply for ISAN code registration?
• What are the advantages of getting an ISAN code?
• Does the ISAN code register ownership of works?
• How much does an ISAN cost?
• Is being part of the ARIBSAN agency free-of-charge?
• Does the ISAN code for a work have to be periodically renewed?
ISAN-IA designates the ISAN International Agency, the ISAN registration authority mandated by ISO to manage the ISAN standard and appoint ISAN registration agencies. ISAN-IA is established by:
Agicoa – the Association of International Collective Management of Audiovisual Works
CISAC – the International Confederation of Societies of Authors and Composers
FIAPF – the International Federation of Cinematographic Producers' Associations
ISAN-IA is responsible for worldwide administration and maintenance of the ISAN standard, which among other tasks, includes the promotion of the ISAN standard, the establishment and coordination of local Registration Agencies that manage the ISAN standard and deliver ISAN codes in their territory, and the management and access to the ISAN registry.
ISAN International Agency organizes and chairs twice a year, the ISAN Registration Agency Committee (RAC) in which ARIBSAN US exchanges and coordinates with all other ISAN Registration Agencies on various topics such as adjustments of the global implementation of the standard to fulfill local requirements reported by ISAN users to their Registration Agency.
What is ARIBSAN?
On February 2, 2006, an agreement was signed between ARIBSAN and the ISAN International Agency (ISAN-IA), through which ARIBSAN became an appointed ISAN registration agency authorized to promote and disseminate the ISAN code as well as to deliver individual ISAN codes to producers and their representatives. In 2009 ARIBSAN became a full rights Associate Member of the ISAN International Agency and thus, joined the administrative committee of ISAN-IA. In October 2011 ARIBSAN US, the division of ARIBSAN based in the USA was appointed by ISAN-IA to operate and promote the ISAN standard in the USA.
What is the ISAN code?
The ISAN (International Standard Audiovisual Number) code is a voluntary numeration system for the identification of audiovisual works, similar to the ISBN used for published works or the ISWC for pieces of music. Each ISAN code identifies a single audiovisual work and remains unaltered throughout the life of the work, regardless of language, format, or use that is made of the work. The ISAN code is a reference number which is internationally singular, permanent, and recognizable for the identification of audiovisual works.
What is the format of an ISAN code?
Each ISAN consists of 24 hexadecimal digits, divided into three parts:
• Root, which identifies the audiovisual work
• Episode, which identifies the parts of a serialized work
• Version, which identifies the versions of a work.
What is the purpose of an ISAN code?
The purpose of an ISAN code is to identify any audiovisual wok with a universal code. This singular identification provides for more efficient management of works by the entire audiovisual industry in the global context of its transactions.
Who allocates an ISAN?
The ISAN code is allocated by ARIBSAN under authorization from ISAN-IA, which is responsible for worldwide administration of the ISAN system and designated by the ISO as the Registration authority for the ISAN Standard. ARIBSAN is a registration agency authorized to manage and process ISAN codes for audiovisual works.
To what type of works and/or recordings does the ISAN code apply?
There is a very broad use of the ISAN code for audiovisual works, applying it to all existing genres, including feature films, fiction or animation series, documentaries, advertising spots, video clips, live shows, news programs, sports retransmissions, etc…
Who can apply for ISAN code registration?
Any natural person or corporate body can apply for an ISAN code. It is designed for audiovisual industry professionals: producers, creators, broadcasters, distributors, advertising firms, etc., as well as any organization or other representative entity in the audiovisual sector.
What are the advantages of getting an ISAN code?
• It is a singular identifier of audiovisual works, which will ease management of them in the distribution chain (producers, distributors, TV broadcasters, etc...)
• It facilitates electronic information exchange between different data bases, providing faster, more efficient management of works and reducing possible errors in identification
• Efficient cataloguing and monitoring of works
• Its nature of being a “singular reference number” makes it an essential component in the fight against piracy
• It is a tool which improves management and the overall activity of the worldwide audiovisual industry
• It facilitates registration and exploitation of a work
• It improves management of intellectual property rights
Does the ISAN code register ownership of works?
No. ISANs are allocated irrespective of their status with regard to copyright or ownership of the work.
The ISAN code allocated to a work in no way constitutes proof of property rights or authorship of that work.
How much does an ISAN cost?
The price to be applied shall be that in effect as established by the pricing guide in the Terms and Conditions provided by the ISAN international agency, ISAN-IA.
Is being part of the ARIBSAN agency free-of-charge?
Yes, there are no membership fees or maintenance costs. The only cost is for the allocation of the ISAN code.
Does the ISAN code for a work have to be periodically renewed?
No, there is a one-time-only charge for allocation of an ISAN code to an audiovisual work.
|ISAN registration agency appointed by
© Copyright 2006. Aribsan
WEBSITE DESIGNED BY